So this was posted on Facebook recently and we could not pass up putting it on the web for everyone to have. No credit is known currently beyond the Green Witch profile.
- 1 lb. thick smoked bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup coffee
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 2 chipotle chilis in adobo, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon in a large sauce pan an over medium heat until the fat has rendered and the bacon starts to get crispy and set aside, reserving 1 tablespoon of the grease in the pan.
- Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the vinegar and deglaze the pan.
- Add the coffee, brown sugar, maple syrup, bourbon, bacon, chipotle chilies, cumin and pepper, reduce the heat and simmer until reduced to a syrupy consistency, about 1-2 hours.
- Process the jam in a food processor to smooth it out a bit but not too much as you want to have the texture of the bacon.
- If you do not finish it all in one sitting, store it in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 weeks.
Makes 1 to 2 cups